Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Some, upon reading the previous post, will wish to shun me, ascribing to me all the failures of mankind. They will not yell " blasphemer", but instead they will argue with me about the existence of god. Most will say I would rather live in a world with god than without. Fine. That doesn't change the reality of the world. It doesn't change the reality of addiction and similar diseases like mental illness or obsessive-compulsive disorder. My argument is simple: If left to god, we'd be dying in droves still, whereas more people have been helped by the error filled attempts of human beings than prayers ever frigging did. We can bitch about medications, but they have helped far more than they have hurt. The various srri medicaions have most likely helped far more meth and coke addicts than payments to conjuror's, sooth sayers and consoling words from non-abusive priests ever did or will do. This is mans work, not gods. This is hard to accept personally as an addict, for inside the lenses it is difficult to see how we ever recover at first, so we ascribe it to god. But we change. We don't use. Friends, peers, counselors, and doctors help us along the way. I have yet to see god show up once at a meeting or give a ride to one. I have seen a lot of people do this though. I can no longer give to god what deserves to be given to people...the people who helped me along the way...whether it was the man who gave a ride to a meeting or the legislators who funded treatment with tax dollars...I owe them the thanks. God...hell...the gods made me an addict.

No comments: